Join the West Coast's leading event for films & discussions that spark green ideas and actions!
10th Anniversary San Francisco Green Film Festival: September 10-20, 2020.
Green Film Fest prefers entries on FilmFreeway, an economical, eco-friendly alternative to hard-copy forms and DVD submissions. Enter online at filmfreeway.com/greenfilmfest.
However, you can also submit to us by mail or email by downloading the Entry Form.
Questions? Please email us at email@example.com
ABOUT GREEN FILM FEST
The San Francisco Green Film Festival is about more than movies - it's a movement. Our audiences, communities, filmmakers and experts come together to discover, discuss, and develop actions that inspire change for a better, more sustainable world.
The 10th Anniversary Green Film Fest in 2020 will feature a vibrant line up of 60 new, innovative environmental films, connecting passionate audiences and established community organizations with international filmmakers and expert guests in the arts and environment.
We are seeking compelling, critical new films on the environment & sustainability. The festival is open to new or established filmmakers from anywhere in the world. There are no restrictions on length or genre, and all entries are eligible for the Festival's Awards.
Acceptance into the Festival 2020 Official Selection means that in addition to the opportunity to screen your film in front of our San Francisco audiences, we will also connect you with local partners to support the ongoing success & impact of your film.
SFGFF is a member of the international Green Film Network, an association of the world's 40 major environmental film festivals, giving further opportunities for outreach and connection with a global audience. We are also official partners of the United Nations Environment Programme, Connect4Climate, and a member of the Film Festival Alliance.
HERE'S WHAT OUR FILMMAKER GUESTS ARE SAYING:
"This is a great festival: very filmmaker friendly, attended by smart audiences, and organized by a pretty amazing staff. They screened a short doc of mine in 2017 and, in 2019, screened both a short and my first feature doc. I can't say enough about the experience. This is what all festivals should aspire to." ~ Dan Goldes, 5 Blocks
"We were treated so well at every stage of the festival. It was truly an honor to be invited and have our entire film team involved. The films were amazing and the commitment to environmental social justice was exactly the community we were looking for. It was the best experience possible on all levels!" ~ Christina King & Elizabeth Castle, Warrior Women
"Movies merely have stars. The San Francisco Green Film Festival displays a whole constellation. I have learned a great deal from the films I’ve seen there over the years, and I've encountered, in person and on screen, inspiring people. This year’s festival was the best of all. I feel proud to have participated in it and encouraged to know the work of others who took part in the festival." ~ Stephen Most & Kevin White, Wilder Than Wild: Fire, Forests, and the Future
"The San Francisco Green Film Festival is an activist driven event that prioritizes not just excellence in filmmaking but the importance in bringing to light stories of our natural world that collide with the human experience." ~ Soumyaa Kapil Behrens, Nail House
"Sorry I couldn't attend - nevertheless, having a small film in this event prompted great communication and promotion from the organizers and programmers. This makes indie filmmakers/animators like me feel relevant, when many other bigger fests largely ignore shorts and non-attending artists. Thanks folks!" ~ Cable Hardin, Beebox
"This is a great Film Festival. The experience communicating with them was amazing. I didn't know if I could attend or not until last minute and they kept in touch with me until last day to see if it was possible. The people at the festival kept me adapted as how the screening went etc. Really felt like my film was important there and they were taking good care of it." ~ Eliana Alvarez Martinez, Spirit of Discovery
FILM SUBMISSION GENERAL RULES
- To qualify, productions MUST have an environmental topic or angle.
We are seeking stories that explore the relationship between people and the planet. In particular, we are interested in stories that represent diverse communities and environmental justice, especially films with powerful Women and vital Indigenous Cultures around the globe who are leading the way on climate. We are also interested in stories that present new economic models.
Other topics include:
Healthy Food Systems
However, any environmental topic or angle will be considered.
- All films must be completed after January 1, 2018.
- All dialogues must be presented in English or with English subtitles.
- There are no restrictions on length or genre: documentaries, narratives, animations, features, shorts, student works, installations, VR, and other media will all be considered for inclusion. Feature films are considered 50 minutes or over.
- There is no 'Premiere' requirement for inclusion in the Festival.
- Work-in-progress films that are not final cuts may be entered, but please clearly note what is missing or will change.
- If your film was submitted for previous editions of the Green Film Fest, you may re-enter it if you have made significant changes and if the eligibility requirements are met.
- More than one entry may be submitted; however an official entry form and entry fee must accompany each submission.
- Youth Filmmakers (age 18 and under) always submit for free!
All entrants will receive notification by July 3.
If selected, you will be required to supply your film on one of the following formats for screening at the Green Film Festival: DCP, QuickTime file (ProRes, H264), Blu-Ray, or DVD.
All dialogues must be presented in English or with English subtitles.
You will be required to pay for shipping of your film materials to San Francisco for screening in the Festival. SFGFF will pay for the return or forward shipping only.
Features: Features anchor our festival program. We consider a feature film to be 50 minutes or over in length. This includes documentary, narrative drama, and animation.
Green Fire Award: A juried competition with $2,500 cash prize for San Francisco Bay Area Feature films that are 50 minutes and over. Open to filmmakers who are currently resident in the SF Bay Area or films that are about the SF Bay Area.
Mid-Length: For films between 20-50 minutes. This includes documentary, narrative drama, and animation. These films may screen in a program by themselves, or as part of a shorts program.
Shorts: We know that good things can come in small packages, and each year's Festival showcases an array of new, International shorts. We consider a short film as under 20 minutes in length. This includes documentary, narrative drama, and animation. Shorts may screen with features or in a shorts program.
Shorts (3 mins & under): Short Films of 3 minutes or less can submit for free!
Young Filmmaker Competition: Are you a young filmmaker sharing your environmental story? We want to give you a chance to share your film on the big screen in front of our festival audience. To qualify, the film's director must be age 18 or under on September 30, 2020.
AWARDS & PRIZES
GREEN FIRE AWARD
- Juried award for Best San Francisco Bay Area Environmental Feature with $2,500 cash prize.
- The award recognizes the best of Independent documentary filmmaking in the San Francisco Bay Area by honoring innovative storytelling and new perspectives on environmental topics.
- All Feature submissions (50+ mins) from filmmakers who are currently resident in the San Francisco Bay Area or films that are about the SF Bay Area will be eligible for the award.
- Finalists will be announced in August and shown in competition at Green Film Fest 2020.
YOUNG FILMMAKER COMPETITION
- Juried awards for filmmakers age 18 and under.
- For short films that bring us positive solutions to meet the challenges of climate change.
- $250 cash prize and the Young Filmmaker Award will be given to the best film.
- For full details, visit greenfilmfest.org/contest
In addition, Green Film Fest 2020 will present awards for:
- Best Feature
- Best Short
- Green Tenacity Award
- Inspiring Lives Award
- Audience Award
All submitted films are eligible, as determined by the Festival. Read more about the awards and past winners.
EARLY BIRD: February 23, 2020
REGULAR: March 15, 2020
LATE: April 5, 2020
Early / Regular / Late
Feature: $35 / $45 / $55
Mid-Length: $30 / $40/ $50
Shorts: $25 / $30 / $40
Student: $15 / $25 / $35*
Age 18 and under: Free**
Films under 3 minutes: Free
* To qualify for the Student submission fee you must send in a copy of a valid school ID.
** Entry fees are waived for young filmmakers age 18 and under. To qualify, the film's director must be age 18 or under as of September 30, 2020.
Discounts are available for FilmFreeway Gold members, check online for details.
TO SUBMIT ONLINE
Submit electronically at FilmFreeway.com/GreenFilmFest
We prefer electronic submissions through FilmFreeway, an economical, eco-friendly alternative to hard-copy forms and DVD submissions. FilmFreeway offers free HD online screeners, unlimited video storage, digital press kits, and more.
TO SUBMIT BY MAIL
If prefer not to submit online, please download the Entry Form and select from these payment & preview screener options.
Entry Fee Payments By Mail or Email:
Payments must be in US DOLLARS only. The submission fee is non-refundable. Submissions with unpaid entry fees will not be considered for selection. Credit Card entry fee payments can only be made through FilmFreeway online submissions.
1. Secure online credit card payments can be made at greenfilmfest.org/filmentrypayment
2. PayPal: Use the payment ID: firstname.lastname@example.org with the film title in the description.
3. Check/Money Order: Make payable to "SF Green Film Festival" with the film title in the memo line.
If you are paying the discounted student entry fee rate, please send a scan of your student I.D. to email@example.com including the title of your film and name of the director in the body of the email. Please note that if you pay via PayPal the international exchange rates are determined on the date of the transaction.
Preview Screener by Mail or Email:
These are the options for submitting a preview screener to our screening team. Choose ONE option that will work for you.
1. Submit a link to watch your film online (such as on Vimeo, YouTube, or IMdb) on the paper entry form and include any necessary passwords for access.
2. Submit a media file attached to an email or via Dropbox. Email the file or link to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the title of your film and name of the director in the body of the email.
3. Send your film in the mail to:
SF Green Film Festival
Ninth Street Independent Film Center
145 9th Street, Suite 220
San Francisco, CA 94103 USA
Your mail package should include:
- Two (2) copies of your film on DVD. Please write the title of your film, name of director, and film running time on the disc.
- A hard copy signed and completed entry form.
- A check or money order made payable to “SF Green Film Festival” with the film title in the memo line.
- All International submissions must include this wording on any Customs label: "Film/Video on loan for film festival. Cultural purposes only; No Commercial Value."
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
SFGFF reserves the right to determine the eligibility of any project submitted.
All submitted materials become the property of SFGFF for internal and archival purposes.
If accepted, the producer agrees to provide the festival with one of these presentation formats: DCP, QuickTime file (ProRes, H264), BluRay, or DVD. The producer or distributor agrees to pay for shipping of film materials to San Francisco for screening in the Festival. SFGFF will pay for the return or forward shipping only.
By submitting a film entry, the producer agrees that all rights and clearances have been obtained, that any copyrighted sound, music, image or content included in the work have been legally cleared for use, and that SFGFF is not responsible for any copyright infringement resulting from public screenings.
By submitting a film entry, you acknowledge SFGFF has the right to copy any submitted material and use images and trailers for SFGFF’s non-commercial use. Promotional use may include a clip of any accepted film being included in a radio or TV program, or in a festival trailer for Green Film Fest.
Every precaution will be taken to safeguard all materials submitted while in the possession of the Festival. However, SFGFF cannot accept or assume responsibility in the event of loss or damage.
Awards & Prizes will be given to the winning film director(s) and will be fulfilled approximately 4-6 weeks after the Festival closing night. Award recipient is responsible for all applicable taxes on cash prizes. Awards & Prizes may be modified and eligibility is at the sole discretion of SFGFF.
By submitting a film entry, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to abide by these General Rules and Terms & Conditions of the San Francisco Green Film Festival.
Questions? Please email us at email@example.com