Tonight’s spotlight is on climate change, featuring a lineup of fascinating talks in partnership with COAL + ICE, a documentary photography and video exhibition coming to Fort Mason.
Schedule of Events
7 pm - COAL + ICE: Inspiring climate action through art and ideas
Co-curators Susan Meiseles & Jeroen di Vries will discuss the upcoming COAL + ICE photography exhibition and what it was like to work with more than 40 photographers from around the world and hundreds of photographs.
8 pm - Preview: The Fire Tapes
Catch a sneak preview of "The Fire Tapes," a live show co-produced by Snap Judgment and KQED that features first-person storytellers from the center of the Santa Rosa fires.
9 pm - No, Really... It's Funny
Hear from comedian Will Durst about his upcoming "Climate Comedy" show and how he uses the power of the arts to connect with an audience on difficult issues.
Science Today, East Pavilion
7:30 pm, Biomimicry and Real World Solutions
Learn how design, architecture, and engineering firm HOK applies biomimicry to its work to help reduce climate impact with Sean Quinn, sustainable design leader.
8:30 pm, 2018 Green Film Fest Preview
Get a glimpse into the 2018 San Francisco Green Film Festival with executive producer Rachel Caplan and participating filmmakers.
More to Explore
6:00pm - 10:00pm
- Learn about environmental impacts on fish and fisheries with Ichthyology researcher, Hudson Pinheiro.
- Get hands-on with echinoderm specimens presented by Academy researcher Frances Armstrong.
- Talk coral and nudibranchs with Dr. Allison Fritts-Penniman and learn about the mission of The Hydrous.
- Catch a sneak preview of the COAL + ICE exhibition and festival coming to San Francisco this fall.
- Meet the Union of Concerned Scientists and find out what their scientists are doing to implement practical solutions to our planet's most pressing problems.
Nature Now, West Pavilion
- Catch a live talk from Academy researcher Raphael Ritson-Williams about coral bleaching and ocean acidification.
Unlocked Art Lab
Children's Gallery, East Pavilion
6:00pm - 9:30pm
- Join artist Tiffany Bozic as she hosts Unlocked Art Lab, an illustration workshop dedicated to drawing and painting biodiversity with actual specimens.
The Terrace Cafe, West Garden
Tasting: 6:00pm - 9:45pm
Talks: 7:30 & 8:30 pm
- This month, discover “The Science of Bubbles” with Scharffenberger Cellars and learn about the process of making sparkling wine and the nuances of tasting fine bubbles paired with fresh shucked oysters.
Tasting flight of 3 Sparkling Wines - $18
Coral Reef Dive Show
Philippine Coral Reef Tank
Get the T on the largest living Coral reef tank in the world and learn more about all the work our biologists and divers do to keep coral healthy in and outside the tank.
Music by DJ Sep (Dub Mission)
- Hurry! Last entry for our Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- With Planetarium Pass Reservations, you can select your showtime in advance and guarantee your seat under the stars. $3; optional, but recommended. Available online only.
- Free passes will still be available onsite at the Planetarium kiosk on a first-come, first-served basis. Arrive early for your best chance to obtain a free pass.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, The Terrace Bar and Restaurant, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Leave Planet Earth behind as you fly to the farthest reaches of the Universe! Narrated by Sigourney Weaver.
55 Music Concourse Dr
San Francisco, CA 94118
Google map and directions