Create a short film to show us how you are taking climate action and win cash prizes, Autodesk software and a special screening of your film at Green Film Fest 2017.
From recycling to taking transit to growing a garden, show us how you're making it count.
How to Enter
- Pick a Climate Action - Zero Waste; Sustainable Transit; Renewable Energy; or Roots.
- Create a video of 3 minutes or less* related to your Climate Action answering one simple question: "How do you make it count?"
- Upload your video to YouTube, Twitter or Facebook, tagged #climateactionfilm
- Fill out the online Entry Form, before December 31, with the link to view your film.
The contest is open to everyone. It is free to enter and there are no restrictions on style or genre, when the work was made, or how many entries you may submit. You don’t need to be a professional filmmaker – wherever you are, we want to hear your climate action story!
*Films longer than 3 minutes will not be considered for this short film contest.
Films can be entered in the following categories: K-8 // High School // General Public // Organizations.
Films will be reviewed by our panel of judges and the highest scoring films in each Entry Category. Prizes will be awarded in each Entry Category:
1st Prize: $300 cash prize; Autodesk software and will be screened at Green Film Fest 2017.
2nd Prize: $200 cash prize.
3rd Prize: $100 cash prize.
The winning films will be announced in March 2017.
September 19, 2016: Film submissions open
December 31, 2016: Deadline to enter & upload your video
March 22, 2017: Winners announced
April 20 - 26, 2017: Film screening in Green Film Fest 2017
Pick Your Climate Action
0-50-100-Roots is a simple frame for the City's Climate Action goals—to send ZERO waste to the landfill, take 50 percent of our trips by public transit, bike, walk or rideshare, and use 100 percent renewable energy to keep us on track to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions. ROOTS refers to the many activities we are taking to not only reduce emissions but to actually capture them.
The entire city family—government entities, residents, businesses and community organizations—is working together on this.
And we want to know what you’re doing to make our city greener!
Zero Waste: How are you helping San Francisco meet its goal of sending ZERO waste to landfill - Reducing? Reusing? Recycling? Composting?
50% Sustainable Transit: Show us how San Francisco can reach its goal of 50% sustainable travel or tell us how you are already making it happen. Are you getting out of your cars and walking, biking, taking public transit, or ridesharing?
100% Renewable Energy: We all want cleaner, greener, electricity. How are you supporting our goal for 100% renewable energy—installing solar? Reducing your energy use?
Roots: Show us how you are helping to pull carbon dioxide out of the air, whether planting trees, tending your garden, or protecting our urban forest and green spaces.
- Here are some top tips on how to make a short movie and change the world!
- Check out the winning entries for the 2016 Climate Action Film Contest!
- The Mix at SFPL is a brand new, youth-designed learning space just for teens 13-18. Check out their website to find free drop-in video production times where you can work on your entry, and other great programs, including music production and 3D printing!
Terms & Conditions
1. SFGFF reserves the right to determine the eligibility of any project submitted.
2. SFGFF will accept films created in any media format.
3. By entering a film, the producer agrees that all rights and clearances have been obtained, that any copyrighted sound, music, image or content included in the work have been legally cleared for use, and that SFGFF and its sponsors are not responsible for any copyright infringement resulting from public screenings.
4. By entering a film, you acknowledge SFGFF and its sponsors have the right to copy any submitted material and use images for non-commercial use. This may include promotions, advertising, use in print, web content, and educational purposes.
5. By submitting the film entry form, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to abide by the Terms & Conditions of SFGFF.
Thank you for entering!
Contest Presented By:
Thank You to our Contest Sponsors: